Sunshine Retirement Living provides respiratory an infection testing, together with COVID-19, to strengthen an infection prevention protocols
BIEGE, ore., April 23, 2020 / PRNewswire / – As the COVID-19 pandemic continues to disproportionately affect seniors across the country, Sunshine Retirement Living (www.sunshineret.com), a Bend, OregonThe family-owned senior housing company, with 32 leading communities in 16 states, has announced that it will be testing residents and employees who have symptoms or may have been exposed to the virus. The FDA-approved Vikor Scientific ™ Respira-ID ™ test is also given to all new residents before they move into any of the corporate communities.
Produced by Vikor Scientific, a highly complex CLIA-certified and CAP-accredited laboratory for molecular diagnostics in Charleston, South Carolina, Respira ID tests for over 40 pathogens known to cause respiratory diseases, including COVID-19. Vikor Scientific offers comprehensive virtual training to community caregivers who will manage the tests and monitor the return of samples to Vikor Scientific for analysis within 24 hours. The tests are carried out via the QuantStudio ™ 12k Thermo Fisher’s Flex Open Array, an industry-leading high-throughput PCR test tool that enables Vikor Scientific to test high patient volumes on a daily basis.
According to Luis Serrano, CEO of Sunshine Retirement Living, the testing is a critical factor in maintaining the company’s ongoing, rigorous, and proactive protocols to prevent and contain infection.
“Even before the CDC issued its mandates and guidelines for procedures to prevent and control COVID-19 infections, Sunshine Retirement Living began proactively implementing increased measures to protect our residents and employees,” said Serrano. “After weeks of desperate research into when and how we could start testing in our communities, we chose the Respira ID testing solution from Vikor Scientific because of its excellent reputation, fast testing process, high throughput and FDA Approved For More than 20 Years The health and safety of our residents and employees is a top priority. These tests will help us monitor, detect, and prevent COVID-19 infections, in addition to dozens of other more acute ones Respiratory infections, which can be the cause of symptoms of the disease. “
Last month, Serrano also released a written and video statement expressing the company’s vigilance over COVID-19 and its relentless focus on caring for and protecting its seniors and their caregivers. Among the most important and important protocols that are now implemented in every community:
- Residents of all Independent Living communities who may be feeling ill or showing symptoms are asked to remain in their homes and notify their community health management team, which is following all CDC protocols to prevent the spread of disease.
- Visiting is restricted in all assisted living and memory maintenance communities to protect the most vulnerable seniors. Visitors to Sunshine’s independent shared apartments are restricted as per CDC guidelines. Everyone entering the community is screened on the doorstep, including residents and staff.
- To reduce the stress in this situation, each community continues to help simplify video conferencing and other virtual communication tools between residents and relatives.
- To enable social distancing and reduce person-to-person contact, in-room activities are encouraged and all home-cooked meals are hand-delivered three times a day to residential units in Independent Living communities. Restaurants and activities in the Memory Care communities will continue as these communities are already in restricted mode.
- To maintain the top priority of health and safety in every community, Sunshine is now hiring and training more people, especially among those who recently lost their jobs due to this unprecedented crisis.
- For seniors who are now looking for or needing a new home in one of the Sunshine communities, all tours will be digitally operated and additional rigorous screening procedures implemented for new residents to ensure everyone stays as safe as possible.
About Sunshine Retirement Living
Based in Bend over, ore.Sunshine Retirement Living manages 32 retirement communities in 16 states and offers senior housing, independent living, assisted living, and memory maintenance. Sunshine Retirement Living is a family business with over 20 years of experience in the senior housing industry. Sunshine Retirement Living’s mission is to be the preferred senior housing provider that delivers value, choice and independence while promoting health and social interaction that exceeds residents’ expectations and enriches the lives of residents for both residents and employees . By providing meals, housekeeping, activities, transportation, utilities, and in-house management staff, Sunshine Retirement Living continues to create an unparalleled sense of community in any property. For more information, please visit www.SunshineRet.com or @SunshineRetirementLiving.
SOURCE Sunshine Retirement Living