Manny Pacquiao reveals he is on talks to battle once more – after which broadcasts retirement plans
Manny Pacquiao has confirmed talks are ongoing for his return to the ring. Plans to retire alongside his next fight will also be announced.
The now 42-year-old Filipino has not fought in almost two years since his win against the previously undefeated Keith Thurman in Las Vegas. That win secured Pacquiao the WBA welterweight title, although he was later declared champion on hiatus for inactivity.
A number of possible opponents have been discussed for Pacquiao, who had already tried last summer just to fight for his plans to fight the coronavirus pandemic. It is currently believed that Mikey Garcia will be the next favorite to face the eight-division champions.
There were reports last month that Pacquiao was in talks with undefeated WBO champion Terence Crawford in Abu Dhabi, but The National understands that this was never a concrete option. However, Dubai remains a great opportunity for the Filipino senator’s next fight, either this summer or September, in the 72nd of his illustrious career. Speculation has suggested Pacquiao, whose record is 62-7-2, could retire by the end of this year.
Speaking of his next fight late Monday during a virtual media briefing in the Philippines, Pacquiao said, “Negotiations are ongoing. I will not go into details so that there are no problems. “
When asked about retirement, he added: “We will not answer that for now, as this is part of the negotiations. That will be included in the announcement. “
Pacquiao, who also said he would have “no problem” should the fight take place in the United States, is reportedly preparing to run for president in 2022.
Pacquiao was asked about his aspirations for a major political post in the Philippines on Monday and remained shy.
“I didn’t become a boxer to fight in four or ten rounds. I boxed to become world champion,” he said. “Every politician, even a barangay chairman, dreams of becoming president.”